CLIENT CHALLENGE: IMPROVE APP RATING
Panini, the leading maker of sports collectibles, created an app to let users buy and trade cards digitally. The app was built and shipped in a very short span of time, and users experienced some initial difficulties and rated the app down. Even after fixing the issues, the ratings didn’t go up.
OUR SOLUTION: Our experience tells us that users vent out more but are not motivated enough to appreciate any improvements. So we created opportunities for an engagement loop that motivates users to leave a review and rewards them in return.
- App Rating improved from 3.2 to 4.2 in a period of 5 days.
- Received around 219 positive reviews in App Store and 191 in PlayStore.
- Prior to this Review Contest, regular rating campaigns were run for 2 months with little effect.
CLIENT CHALLENGE: IMPROVE USER RETENTION
Panini released their new trading app, Blitz, and noticed that users did not last beyond 7 days.
OUR SOLUTION: We dug deeper into the causes of retention and found that users who spent at least $1 in the app showed significantly higher retention. For the non spending users, we gamified their journey to the first purchase via a 3-day challenge. During the first 2 days, we rewarded users who made progress and on the final day we asked them for a $1 purchase.
- The 3 Day Challenge made users come back repeatedly to the app
- After the first two days that built good momentum, the in-app purchase on day 3 seemed more natural and “in the flow” for users.
650% increase in Day 7 retention for users who made a $1 purchase compared to thosewho didn’t.
CLIENT CHALLENGE: INCREASE VIRTUAL CURRENCY SPENDING WITHIN THE APP
The Panini Blitz app has virtual currency i.e. coins. Users can mint these coins in many ways,such as by buying them in-app, harvesting them in return for a task, etc. Panini found that more coins were being generated than spent in the app. This affected the coin supply-demand and negatively impacted in-app revenues.
OUR SOLUTION: We designed a 5-day rewards program to make users spend their coins while returning some coins as cashback. Each program activity needed coins to be spent. Regular days have no cashback so users find this program appealing.
We leveraged AWS Technology Stacks like EC2, LAMBDA, CLOUDFRONT, SNS, SQS, RDS etc in order to succesfully deploy our platform.
- 325% boost in coin spend per day.
- A by-product was increased engagement.