Gamification is the process of using game design elements in non-game contexts. It uses a sense of rewards and achievement to encourage to take the desired action. Integration of game mechanics into an ecommerce application can boost sales and attracts larger audiences.
According to Digital marketing world forum, 2019, 60% of consumers said they would be more likely to buy from a brand if they enjoyed playing a game with it.
When customers are motivated by a predefined set of offers and rewards, they are more likely to act on them, which results in a better engagement and experience.
The potential of leveraging gamification in your ecommerce business is immense as it gives a positive emotional experience. Today successful ecommerce applications have applied gamification in their business to drive sales, attract and engage customers, and grow brand awareness. Gamification solutions can help greatly in gaining a competitive advantage.
Implementing gamification increases participation among customers, leading to increased site returns, new visitors, and registrations. Gaming elements like points, badges, offers, leaderboards, and more incentivize customers and encourage them to share it with their friends and family. Encouraging “bragging rights” helps boost word-of-mouth and inspires other peers to join.
You can use various gamification techniques to spruce up your ecommerce sales and increase customer engagement-
- Loyalty points
- Product quiz
With these ideas in mind, let’s look at five ways how ecommerce platforms can use gamification to their advantage.
- Avoid cart abandonments: There are moments when customers impulsively select a bevy of items to buy from an ecommerce platform but don’t buy it instantly or keep it for later. E-Commerce businesses lose $18 Billion in sales revenue each year because of cart abandonment. To solve this problem, gamify the browsing and checkout experience. While giving rewards and offers is excellent is common practice for ecommerce, the timing is also equally important, which means adding the time constraint or countdown game elements. The less time your platform will allow the customer to spend, the more exciting it can get. Adding time constraints on top of the average rewards and offers can increase urgency and decrease the cart abandonment rate.
- Increase customer loyalty: Offering an exciting and satisfying prize or a special discount on the next purchase will lead to customer satisfaction and loyalty. Using a loyalty point system, allowing customers to collect badges, points, rewards, etc., can increase customer loyalty, encourage more people to come back to your platform more frequently, and increase engagement on your app or website.
- Improve customer engagement and retention: You can boost your customer engagement and retention using game elements such as points for completing tasks such as adding items to the cart, orders placed, referrals, etc. Leaderboards, for instance, allow customers to compare their status and see their position alongside their peers. This helps create a sense of urgency in achieving a better “score,” resulting in high sales volume and revenue. Leveraging gamification instills a sense of achievement among your customers and shows your gratitude for their ongoing commitment to your platform leading to long-term customer engagement and retention. To know more about how you can improve your customer engagement, tune in for our upcoming interactive webinar on 6th April 2021 at 11:00 am CT. Along with Panini America, we will discuss how you can boost your customer engagement using gamification. Register now.
- Drive product recommendations: Product quizzes, trivia, and mini-games are great ways to recommend products to your customers. Quizzes on the platform act as an effective strategy to get more engagement. Moreover, these game elements help collect data and other valuable information about your customers that could offer your customers more personalized products. You can customize your mini-games, spin the wheel, quizzes, and more according to your ecommerce brand logo and corporate colors to improve brand identity and engagement.
- Maintain customer relationships: Providing instant gratification, augmented lotteries, scratch-off cards, spin the wheel can help you get customer’s attention and have them resonate with your brand with long-term positive feelings, resulting in better engagement, healthy relationships, and additional sales.
As a marketer or ecommerce platform owner, you can leverage gamification as mentioned above to boost your sales, increase engagement, and drive traffic, to take your business to the next level. Gamification in ecommerce allows the customer to proceed through a predefined set of options ending with the purchase and long-term relationships. Whether you have an ecommerce mobile app or website, we at Upshot.ai are experts in helping the fastest growing ecommerce brands such as Puma, ITC, Panini America, and more, scale their business and revenue at a rapid pace.
Schedule a demo today and see how we can leverage gamification to boost your sales and increase engagement with your customers.