User onboarding is the first point of contact with the new user when they download your product. It is a brief walkthrough that demonstrates how to use the app to the users.
The purpose of onboarding is to promote user activation and retention. User activation means users understand the app features and how to use your app, whereas user retention means the user understands the app’s value and returns to use the app again. Lack of good onboarding experience gives reason to people to abandon the apps. The average mobile app loses 77% of its daily active users within the first three days of installation. Providing a better user onboarding experience is critical and should be aligned with the “aha” moment where users can experience how useful the app is. It’s a pivotal experience that results in the user becoming an advocate for your app. If done correctly, it delights users, reduces churn and drop-offs.
Roadmap to Create a Great Onboarding Experience:
- Know your users: The first and foremost step in designing an onboarding experience is to know your users. Do some careful user research and create user personas to help you with the onboarding process.
- Keep registration simple: 72% of users say completing onboarding in under a minute is critical in their decision to keep using the app. Ask for only relevant information. Avoid lengthy registration steps by collecting user info quickly by providing social logins. This gives you name, email, gender, age, and more, without appearing too much info upfront. It increases registration rates by up to 50% and sign-up conversion rates by up to 20%.
Wasel Delivery registration screen
3. Introduce features one at a time: Never overwhelm users with presenting all the elements in one go. Strategically offer the feature and its value step by step to provide a clear understanding of features.
4. Emphasize your value proposition: During the onboarding process, highlight your app’s value so that users understand the critical functionality for your app. Emphasizing key features will help them complete the desired task by utilizing callouts and highlighting key buttons.
Pinterest: value proposition onboarding screen
5. Multichannel engagement: Supplement the onboarding with multichannel onboarding to engage users such as email tutorials, video walkthroughs, screen tips, the knowledge base on your app or website.
6. Send notifications: Sending push notifications to users can be a great way to finish the onboarding process. Duolingo is an excellent example of how to leverage personalized push notifications to onboard and engage users successfully.
7. Test and iterate: Designing user onboarding is not enough; you need to test the flow with many variables that impact the user experience. Beat test the onboarding and analyze the user response, drive insights, and make changes to the process for a great onboarding experience.
Questions to consider while designing a user onboarding experience
- What’s the core value you’re trying to present to your users?
- What is the first action that you want your users to take?
- What steps do users need to undertake to receive that core value?
- How easy is it to understand your core benefits/features?
Answering these questions will give you certain clarity on how to create an onboarding experience. We understand creating a perfect user onboarding experience that works is complex. It requires a lot of research, testing, and optimization. That’s where the onboarding tools play a crucial role. Upshot.ai onboarding tool allows you to create a compelling and delightful onboarding without any hassle.
Upshot.ai Onboarding kit for your app success:
Welcome screens (or splash screens) are among the most well-known and crucial elements of any user onboarding experience. These screens serve to introduce new users to the app. It generally contains a welcome message or sign-up or both to get started with people immediately.
Tutorials are an excellent way to illustrate how the app works. Slideshow tutorial with a series of screens and video tutorials provides users a walkthrough of the product.
Walkthrough: indicating precisely how many steps are involved in the onboarding process
New user onboarding is an essential step in creating and launching any new app. Your user onboarding experience makes all the difference when it comes to user retention. It removes any doubt in the user’s mind about how your app benefits them, paving the way to building users for life.