Mapping a user journey provides app owners and marketers with critical insights into how to optimize the user experience and eliminate pain points throughout the app. This guide discusses how to map user journeys and some of the best practices to monitor and optimize user behavior.
Firstly, let’s understand what a user journey is:
A user journey represents a sequence of events that a user encounters while using a product. It is the timeline users go through the app. Each user has a goal that they fulfill in the app or website. It could be adding items to the cart, adding credit card details for payment, and purchasing a product. Users take these steps to satisfy their need; these steps or flow is referred to as the user journey.
Now let’s move on to how one can map the user journey.
To start, visualize the steps or stories of how a user or customer interacts with your product. A user journey map is a visual representation of the steps from a user’s perspective. It includes all the touchpoints from reading app reviews or seeing an advertisement to downloading an app and using it. As a product owner or marketer, it is essential to know why the user has installed your app and better facilitate their needs. By understanding this, you can learn more about user behavior and how it can be optimized.
User behavior plays a significant role in the user journey as different users adopt a different journey. Understanding how each user interacts and navigates within your app is pretty complicated. Identifying users’ actions and shared paths and grouping users with similar user behavior helps marketers conversion.
Here’s an example of how can you leverage the upshot.ai to visualize user journey-
User journey of an e-commerce app:
User Journey 1:
App Installed -> App Launched -> Onboarding -> Item Searched -> Item Added In Cart -> Added Payment Details -> Payment successful -> Order Placed -> Given a 5-Star Rating
User Journey 2:
App Installed -> App Launched -> Onboarding -> Item Searched -> Item Added In Cart -> Added Payment Details -> Payment failed -> Order declined -> App Uninstalled
Leveraging user journey, you can track user events and analyze user actions. You can see what circumstances led to an app uninstall and the 5-star rating. The following checklist will help you understand roadblocks where users might be getting discouraged or frustrated in your app-
- Is your onboarding process interactive and straightforward? Are users interacting with the home screen or homepage and exploring other pages? Applications with a good user interface and experience tend to work well.
- Do your users know how to navigate your app? A good onboarding tutorial and screen tips will help users understand your app better and reduce user churn.
- Are your users churning within three days of installing an app? How quickly do users exit your application? If they leave early after a few clicks, that means there is a problem. To retain users, leverage user engagement and gamification tools such as push notifications, mini-games, leaderboards, badges, etc.
- Do you send a feedback form or surveys to know and appreciate the user’s takeaways about your application? Do you often get negative reviews on the app/play store? To optimize your ratings and reviews, send in-app micro surveys, rating requests, and NPS to understand your product better from the user’s point of view.
Here are the seven ways to leverage user journey to understand user behavior-
- Capture attention: Capture user attention by leveraging upshot.ai engagement tools. Send the right user the right message at the right time using personalized push notifications.
- Guide users with a seamless buying process: A failed transaction in 2nd user journey left a bad experience with the user in the above example. You could avoid such incidents by using onboarding tools such as tutorials, screen tips to educate and guide users in such cases. You now have a happy customer who will share positive feedback with his circle.
- Uncover opportunities to cross-sell and up-sell: Recommend your product to users based on the user’s geographic, transactional, and behavioral data.
- Use journeys to increase app retention rate: Find critical points where users might churn in your user journey. For instance, if there is an issue with the user onboarding funnel, take a necessary step towards increasing user retention.
- Behavioral segmentation: Increase conversion rate by segmenting users based on their behavior. Build targeted campaigns to keep users engaged. Upshot.ai allows you to capture data from online and offline channels and the campaign response data while segmenting.
- Analyze Data: Upshot.ai 50+ analytical reports and insights allows you to get deeper insights into user behavioral data. Influence funnels’ power to analyze how users navigate your app journey and target users to improve conversions and reduce churn.
- Deliver omnichannel experience: Create a consistent and seamless cross channel experience by analyzing user journey—leverage user journey builder to send personalized user experience on their preferred channels to engage and improve conversion.
Understanding user behavior is crucial to your long term success and an essential part of user journey mapping. Analyze how the user behaves and moves along in your app to improve user retention and conversion. Garnering deep insights into precise user journey mapping and user behavior allows you to do that. Experience the power of the upshot.ai – powerful analytics platform today by scheduling a demo.